View more on these topics

Virgin Money’s 2015 profit soars 53% to £160.3m


Virgin Money’s 2015 UK profit before tax soared by 53 per cent to £160.3m from £104.8m in 2014.

The firm’s total income was £523.1m, up 19 per cent on 2014’s £438.2m.

Virgin Money’s 2015 accounts say it is carrying out a study into personal current accounts and is eyeing an expansion into this market.

Currently Virgin’s only PCA is a basic bank account product.

The firm’s 2015 retail deposit balances rose to £25.1bn, up 12 per cent on 2014.

Virgin Money’s mortgage balances increased to £25.5bn, up 16 per cent on the previous year.

Virgin’s 2015 gross mortgage lending was £7.5bn, while net lending was £3.6bn.

Virgin Money chief executive Jayne-Anne Gadhia says: “Growth in our mortgage book outpaced the market as we continued to support demand for housing in the UK. Our savings franchise continued to flourish and deposit balances are now higher than at any point in our history.

“We will continue to put our customers at the heart of everything we do and look to the future with confidence.”

The firm is still on the lookout for acquisition deals, according to its accounts.

The lender says it believes buy-to-let mortgages will continue to support the demand for private rented accommodation.

Its 2015 accounts say: “Our mortgage business is comprised of 83 per cent residential and 17 per cent buy-to-let mortgages and our buy-to-let lending is high-quality. We do not expect the new tax regulations for buy-to-let landlords to have a material impact on our business.”

The Virgin Money board is recommending a final dividend of 3.1p per ordinary share.

The total dividend for the year will be 4.5p per ordinary share.



Network Review: The biggest winners and losers in 2015

Last year was unusually tempestuous for network recruitment, with huge gains and even huger losses The FCA’s recruitment league table for mortgage networks in 2015 makes for interesting reading. In light of some recent changes, however, I want to run through the limitations of the data before I get to the meat of it. One […]


62% of readers want UK to stay in EU

The UK mortgage market will be stronger if the UK stays in the EU, according to a majority of Mortgage Strategy readers. Around 63 per cent of readers want the UK to remain in Europe, while the remaining 37 per cent back Brexit. A vote on whether the UK stays in the EU will be […]


Passing your examination the easy way

Michael Ward has spent many long and frustrating hours simplifying the CeMAP exam-taking process with the use of some cleverly composed notes he calls rapid learning guides. Before I let Ward loose on the MS platform I&#39ll tell you briefly about some people who have used Michael&#39s notes. Cameron Thurston had become disillusioned with the […]

lifetime lease purchases

What is a lifetime lease purchase?

Lifetime lease purchase deals involve raising finance but not on current properties. Rather, they are taken out when consumers move home. They are called lifetime lease schemes. Although not identical to sell-and-rent-back options, they are unregulated too. Lifetime leases are designed for clients who want to move but either cannot afford to or don’t want […]


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up