View more on these topics

Just Retirement set for merger with Partnership

Just Retirement and Partnership, the two insurers whose share prices were savaged by Chancellor George Osborne’s radical annuities overhaul, are to merge.

The deal, announced last week on the London Stock Exchange, is expected to result in Just Retirement shareholders owning roughly 60 per cent of the combined business, with Partnership shareholders controlling the remaining 40 per cent. 

The merger will value Partnership at around £668.5m.

Partnership chief executive Steve Groves will step down on completion of the deal, with Just Retirement CEO Rodney Cook set to take overall control of the combined businesses.

Just Retirement says the perceived benefits are strategic and financial and it cites five key strategic advantages.

First, it says the combined group’s larger capital base will allow it to take on more defined benefit de-risking business. 

Second, the merger will “strengthen the competitive position” of the combined businesses relative to the more established UK insurers.

Third, the merger is expected to accelerate product development as expertise and management teams are combined.

Fourth, combining the firms’ mortality data and underwriting experience “will facilitate improved risk selection and greater reserving accuracy”. Essentially, this means it will be able to price products and allocate capital more effectively.

Finally, the “streamlining” of sales functions should lead to more efficient distribution.

Recommended

Mark-Carney-with-bank-note-in-background-700.jpg

Will shock UK inflation rise push Carney to increase base rate?

UK inflation “defied expectations” in the year to July by rising from 0 per cent to 0.1 per cent, fuelling expectations of an interest rate increase in early 2016. Data published by the Office for National Statistics this morning confirms prices increased by 0.1 per cent in the 12 months to July. The largest upward […]

Justice-Fine-Ban-Court-Gavel-Judge-700x450.jpg

Ex-IFA jailed over £350k theft from elderly clients

A former financial adviser has been sentenced to six years in prison after a court found him guilty of stealing over £350,000 from four elderly and vulnerable people. Peter Bottomley, from Morecambe, was an authorised independent adviser until 2003. But after his authorisation ceased he continued to manage the finances of some elderly people, often […]

Money-Notes-Currency-GBP-700.jpg

Remortgage loans surge by 34%

Remortgage lending surged in June as borrowers prepare for the first rise in base rate in over six years. Figures from the Council of Mortgage Lenders, published last week, show remortgage lending was up 34 per cent year-on-year to £5.1bn. By volume, remortgage loans were also up annually, by 31 per cent to 31,600. The […]

Oil-rig-energy.png

Falling oil price ‘means MPC should take its time’

Falling oil prices are likely to lead to another bout of deflation and mean the Monetary Policy Committee should “take its time over raising interest rates”, says Capital Economics. The price of oil is at a six-month low, with a barrel costing under $50. CPI inflation was 0 per cent in July, although core inflation […]

thumbnail

What employers should expect over the next five years

A major feature of our articles is looking into the Jelf Employee Benefits crystal ball to predict changes and trends that may influence the short and medium term shape of UK employee benefits.  By flagging such changes early we aim to provide our followers with the tools to make sensible and informed decisions on their benefits offerings.

Newsletter

News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up