View more on these topics

Number of owner occupied households fall

The number of owner occupied households fell from a peak of 14.8m in 2005 and 2006 to 14.6m in 2008-09, the latest figures from the Communities and Local Government show.

It has published its  English Housing Survey Headline Report today, which assesses housing in the UK.

It shows that couples with no dependent children were the most common type of household – 36% and the most common type of owner occupiers – 42% in 2008-09.

Over half – 59% of all private renters expected to eventually buy a home in the UK compared to only around a quarter – 27% of social renters.

The percentage of very energy inefficient homes rated Bands F or G through the Energy Performance Certificate fell by 5% points, from 22% to 17% of the stock between 2006 and 2008.

Some 89% of homes had central heating in 2008, and 3.7m -17% of all had condensing boilers – a more than threefold increase since 2005 when regulations were first introduced.

In 2008, 3.1 million ’vulnerable’ households’ were living in the private sector of which 1.2 million -39% were living in non-decent homes, the remaining 1.9 million – 61% were living in decent accommodation

Recommended

Race is on for retail funding

Although the launch of a £2.5bn retail mortgage-backed securities deal from The Co-operative Bank was a further sign that the securitisation market is continuing to thaw, there’s no getting away from the fact that it’s still not functioning properly. Without securitisation, there is no exit for loans originated, and the only viable model is deposit-based […]

Newsletter

News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up