View more on these topics

Lack of knowledge about Homebuy could hinder first-time buyers

A survey has reveal a widespread lack of knowledge amongst estate agents about the governments Homebuy scheme, designed to get first-time buyers onto the property ladder by purchasing a home on the open market in certain areas for 75% of the asking price.

While many of the estate agents questioned were aware of shared ownership, over half had never heard of the governments Homebuy scheme.

The survey carried out by Plumlife, part of Manchester-based housing association, Manchester Methodist Housing Group, found that 89% of estate agents questioned admitted that there is still some confusion about Homebuy and other low cost home ownership schemes within the industry.

Amongst the estate agents questioned, only 43% had heard of Homebuy and only 1% had ever marketed any properties through Homebuy. 90% of the estate agents questioned had heard of shared ownership schemes, however only 26% of these agents had or were marketing properties through shared ownership.

Despite their confusion over Homebuy and shared ownership, 87% of those questioned believed that these schemes were the way forward to help first-time buyers get a foothold on the property ladder.

Matthew Harrison, deputy chief executive at MMHG, says: We believe this survey confirms the need for greater awareness amongst some estate agents about the range of options for first-time buyers, which may be resulting in a number of first-time buyers and qualifying households being unintentionally frozen out of perfectly decent and affordable homes in good neighbourhoods.

Both shared ownership and Homebuy are government-backed schemes designed to help first-time buyers onto the property ladder. However, unlike shared ownership, those purchasing through Homebuy do not pay any rent or fees on the un-owned share.

Funded by the Housing Corporation and offered by many housing associations and registered social landlords, Homebuy enables applicants to purchase a property for 75% of the asking price while the remaining 25% is provided by the housing association in the form of a no-interest loan.

Plumlife is offering training and advice to local agents and advisors in the Greater Manchester area to dispel any confusion and raise awareness of Homebuy

Harrison adds: We think there should be some provision for training within the industry, to ensure that first-time buyers are made aware of Homebuy and shared ownership schemes, some of which are often on their doorstep.

The affordable housing industry has worked hard over the past few years to dispel certain myths about shared and affordable home ownership, including the perception that these types of properties are second rate or built in areas of serious decline.

Recommended

NU backs education scheme

Norwich Union is to become a partner in a project to create a National Financial Services Academy as part of its plan to support local education. There will initially be three centres with one in Norwich, where the insurance giant employs about 10% of the student body. NU hopes the Norwich centre will boost the […]

Lenders are preparing to attract business direct from broker sector

From Simon Mouncher We are now a year into regulation and the market seems to have settled well. Every week we read reports on record levels of business so the doom that was expected, along with the end of packaging, hasn’t happened. Or has it? For the past 12 months lenders have talked about cutting […]

Pensioners will be hit hardest by hike in Council Tax bills

Pensioners will not be able to cope with Council Tax bills when they rise again next year, says Key Retirement Solutions. The rise will mean Council Tax will have virtually doubled since Labour came to power nine years ago, and will cost home owners at least an extra 100 per year. There have already been […]

ARLA launches landlord survey

The Association of Residential Letting Agents is urging landlords to complete its online survey.ARLA research aims to counter misconceptions about the buy-to-let market so both the private rented sector and private investors can make informed judgements. It is therefore urging landlord to completes its survey, the results of which can be used to inform and […]

Newsletter

News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up