View more on these topics

Abbey confirms 100% launch

Abbey has confirmed that it will be returning to high LTV lending with the launch of a 100% product.

The lender has not been in this sector of the market since the early 1990s, and says the launch is “significant”.

The product, which is available to intermediaries and in Abbey branches from June 13, has no higher lending charges and is assessed on affordability.

Borrowers can take out the product on an interest-only basis on 85% of the product and pay capital repayment on the remaining 15%.

However, if a repayment vehicle is in place then the product is available 100% interest-only. The maximum loan amount is £500,000.

Rumours have abounded over the past few weeks that the lender was set to launch a 125% part secured, part unsecured product in a similar vein to products from BM Solutions, Alliance & Leicester and Northern Rock.

The June issue of Moneyfacts featured a column in which mortgage pundit Ray Boulger, senior technical manager at John Charcol, said a 125% launch was imminent.

However, Ricky Okey, managing director of Abbey for Intermediaries, says it decided to focus on 100% rather than 125% because it felt the former market had “plenty of legs to it.”

He adds: “We wanted to develop a product which helps people who are struggling to get onto the housing ladder.”

A 125% product could still be on the cards though. Okey admits that in six to 12 months Abbey will probably want to be in every market not currently covered – including sub-prime and equity release – but this view could change.

Recommended

MP calls for better bank checks

Labour MP Jim Cousins, who sits on the Treasury select committee, has called for banks to introduce a code of practice and carry out regular checks to ensure there are no errors in customer repayments.

AVMs in 25% of sales by 2011

The Council of Mortgage Lenders predicts that automated valuation models will be used for a quarter of house sales by 2011.The CML forecasts that the use of AVMs will grow sharply in the next four years as lenders utilise the technique for higher LTV deals as an alternative to physical inspections.It estimates that by 2011, […]

GHL and Salt offer 250 refund on application fees

GHL Group has teamed up with Salt to celebrate six months of having the lender on its panel, by offering applicants a 250 refund on application fees, free legal fees and fre surveys on all remortgages.The incentive scheme will be available on all applications received from today until August 3.This incentive scheme applies to all […]

Commercial securitisation

Commercial First has completed its sixth securitisation, known as BMF 6. Consisting of £500m of first charge mortgages, BMF 6 is the lender’s largest securitisation to date.

Retirement fund - thumbnail

What price (more) freedoms?

George Osborne will make his last Budget speech of the current parliamentary term this week, and the early media briefings suggest that pensions will again feature heavily in that statement. So what are we able to learn from the weekend’s coverage?

Newsletter

News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up