View more on these topics

Staff axed in dot shake-up

Dot financial services revealed last week it has let go a small number of employed advisers as it switches to a self-employed business model.

The brokerage says that out of its remaining employees, 75% have been converted into self-employed directly authorised brokers, with the other 25% remaining as employed appointed representatives.

The firm comes under the umbrella of property group Badger Holdings, which owns estate agents Townsends and Regents.

The self-employed brokers will remain office-based and will still have access to the company’s compliance system.

Andy Cuthbert, managing director of dot, says: “Due to market conditions we have reviewed our plans and made the changes to allow our brokers to go self-employed. This supports those in our team who generate higher than average business levels.

“Our top advisers have taken on the challenge as they know they can make more money but we have also maintained a small number of positions for employed staff. We are recruiting to increase the number of self-employed brokers to provide greater coverage throughout the group.”

The company says an undisclosed number of brokers who couldn’t be placed elsewhere in the business have lost their jobs.

Cuthbert adds: “The brokers I have worked with have adopted the attitude of generating income for their own business. In effect, they’ve been writing their own pay cheques.

“Moving to a self-employed model enables us to give better rewards to those who can prove themselves by generating healthy business levels.”

Recommended

Conti partners with A Place in the Sun

Overseas mortgage provider Conti Financial Services has formed a strategic partnership with the website of television series A Place in the Sun.

IMLA hits out at extension of SLS

Peter Williams, executive director of IMLA, says the Bank of England’s decision to extend the term of its Special Liquidity Scheme is madness as it will exclude a lot of broker lenders.

Rates on the rise again

Mform.co.uk is predicting a lender U-turn on the recent rate cuts in the coming weeks.

Advice or guidance? That is the question

The Retail Distribution Review (RDR) brought many benefits to the UK pension industry, but it also created an advice gap, resulting in consumers with the smallest funds struggling to access advice at a suitable price By Justin Corliss, Business Development Manager The Financial Advice Market Review (FAMR) produced in March 2016 aims to remedy this, […]

Newsletter

News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up