View more on these topics

Spanish bank eyes purchase of TSB

TSB has received a “preliminary proposal” from Spanish bank Sabadell to purchase all outstanding shares in the UK lender.

An all-cash initial bid of 340p per share has been made, valuing the company at around £1.7bn. TSB says it would recommend accepting such an offer pending agreement of “other terms and conditions”.

TSB’s share price soared by 26 per cent on the back of the news.

TSB says: “Sabadell believes that the current banking industry dynamics and macro-economic environment make the UK an attractive market for future investment. The board of TSB believes that Sabadell could support and accelerate TSB’s retail growth strategy and accelerate the expansion of TSB’s presence in the SME sector.”

TSB accounted for 0.7 per cent of the £205bn market in 2014, its debut year as a standalone lender, with £1.47bn in gross new lending.

Pre-tax profit reached £133.7m, more than half of which was generated by a portfolio of Lloyds Banking Group loans assigned to TSB, worth around £71m.



The Mortgage Mole: Monty’s Monkeys

Monty’s Monkeys  Did Mole ever tell you he is a highly successful talent spotter for the music industry? No? Well, that is because he is not.  But he has a good feeling that Rogue Monkey, the band led by global hyper-megastar-to-be Andrew Montlake, will be the next big thing. Montlake, Coreco’s comms guru, has dusted […]

FCA slams payday lenders following review

The FCA has attacked payday lenders for failing to treat customers in arrears fairly following a 12-month thematic review of the sector. The regulator says the review, which covered 60 per cent of the market, found “serious non-compliance and unfair practices” in every short-term credit firm. The FCA uncovered “unacceptable practices” from many lenders, including […]


Precise issues fourth securitisation

Precise Mortgages has launched a £205m securitisation – its fourth issue. Ratings agency Fitch says 53 per cent of the loans are classed as prime buy-to-let loans, with the remaining 47 per cent classed as near-prime residential or buy-to-let. Precise Mortgages managing director Alan Cleary says: “Having a diversified funding model enables us to continue […]

A modern horror story

Every day a quick scan of the news reveals some new horror that will change the lives of those involved forever – the unlucky accident on the way to work, a tragic illness that cuts a young life short or the holiday accident that leaves more than just a scar to cope with. We barely […]


News and expert analysis straight to your inbox

Sign up

Why register with Mortgage Strategy?

Mortgage Strategy continues to be the market-leading B2B mortgage publication in the UK, and provides trusted, independent insight with the aim of helping, promoting and analysing the latest developments for mortgage professionals.

News & analysis delivered directly to your inbox
Register today to receive our range of news alerts including daily and weekly briefings

Mortgage Strategy Events
Be the first to hear about our industry leading conferences, awards, webinars and more.

Research and insight
Take part in and see the results of Mortgage Strategy's flagship investigations into industry trends.

Have your say
Only registered users can post comments. As the voice of the adviser community, our content generates robust debate. Sign up today and make your voice heard.

Register now